Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What is Burdock Root?

Ever feel like your blood wasn’t clean enough? Probably not. However, Burdock root has been used for centuries to remedy all sorts of ailments and particularly remove toxins from our blood! Considering all the crap you and I are exposed to on a daily basis, I would say this is a humble root worth looking into a bit deeper, and that’s exactly what I did!

The Japanese Eat it, and the Chinese Use it in There Medicine!

I love learning new things about Japan, which is one of my favorite cultures. I first discovered this root, when reading about alternative medicines and foods in Japanese culture. Burdock root is called “gobo” and is commonly eaten as a food. It also goes by other names too like lappa, edible burdock, wild gobo and happy major. I have even found it in my local Asian food stores and some select privately owned health food stores near me. The good news, is that for you raw foodies out there, you can actually eat burdock root raw in addition to cooked.


 You can add it to my soups and sauteed it in a stir fry with carrots and sesame seeds, yum! You can also throw it in some coleslaw, or even just add it to your normal everyday salads. Burdock can also be juiced for a delicious and refreshing healing beverage.  I have also discovered that traditional Chinese medicine also has used burdock synergistically with other herbs to treat cold symptoms and sore throats.

So What is Burdock Root Used For?

- Food: 

 1. Not only is this root commonly found in Japanese cuisine, but it is also eaten in parts of Europe as well. The primary benefits I have found in terms of eating the root in its natural non supplement form is twofold. The primary benefit is the fact that it helps with my digestion, as it contains inulin which is a form of fiber that our bodies readily absorb. We could all stand to get more dietary fiber in our diets, especially from food and not supplements, so this was a big plus for me personally.

Enjoy some Burdock Root today 

Sincerely Rozzy Queen of Shea 

www.queenofsheabutter.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment